Tuesday, May 5, 2009

to deceive

–verb (used with object)
1. to mislead by a false appearance or statement; delude: They deceived the enemy by disguising the destroyer as a freighter.
2. to be unfaithful to (one's spouse or lover).
3. Archaic. to while away (time).
–verb (used without object)
4. to mislead or falsely persuade others; practice deceit: an engaging manner that easily deceives.

I subbed a 7th & 8th grade lower English class yesterday. My students rotated in 25 minute blocks, with me, independently, and with an aide. With me, we went through some vocabulary worksheets, and had great conversations. One of the words was appropriate to the week I've had. to deceive.

The textbook gave such examples of deceive as as:

- "We're going to pull weeds today. It will be so much fun!" (actually, in my mom's case, this is not deceiving....she really does make it fun!)

- "If you don't forward this e-mail to 7 people, they will die"

- "Tell me your secret, I promise I won't tell a soul"

These are okay examples, but here are some better ones....straight from my own life this week....

- A woman leaves with her lover. Leaves her husband, her children, her grandchildren. Leaves a job at a business, where the owners have recently had tragedy. Doesn't tell to anyone's face, instead writes a note. Pretends for months, while planning, that everything is okay. Lies in the face of so many. And why? Because its "her turn" to be happy. Entitlement. To deceive.

- A man leaves his wife for another woman. They were married a year and a half. Out of the blue, he throws her out. She thought they were happy. To deceive.

- A guy uses a girl for money. She thought she knew him and his intentions. To deceive.

I am angry, I am sad. I hurt for the people in my life that I am close to, and the effect the "deceivers" have. I am upset that one person can cause so much damage in the lives of many. And do they realize it? That's the sad thing....they actually know what they are doing, what will happen, and do it anyway. The ripple effect even one choice has is overwhelming. To see my family and friends, and myself hurt is overwhelming. It's hard to see the good in humanity right now.

But it's there. Although there are multiple "tragedies" going on in my life right now (seriously, who said bad things happen in 3's? This year, its more like bad things happen in 8's...and it's only May!), I know there will be blessings. A lot of people do choose good. The way people have helped out my family has been good. The way people have been there for me has been good. And the ripple effect that has is also overwhelming. We have to look to find it, but it's there. And I know all things work for the good of those who love HIM and are called according to HIS purpose. Although there is a lot of darkness, God will do good through this. And I am called to have hope. I am called to love these "deceivers" even though I honestly would like to slap some sense into them (or punch some sense into them...). They are still God's children, and loved by Him. Oh Lord, please help me remember that :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Deception always hurts, no matter if it were intentional or not. Considering where deception comes from, this is no surprise.
The hardest people to forgive are the ones who cut the deepest, but that's what we are called to do. Why? Jesus did. If He had not, we'd still be in chains. If we choose to hang onto unforgiveness, we shackle ourselves once again. Chances are that those who hurt us or the ones we love are totally unaware.
Unforgiveness is freeing. Blessing those who hurt you, as we are called to do is even more freeing. True forgiveness and blessings can never be done by our own volition. Praise God for His mercy and grace and longsuffering!Love you!!!!