Saturday, October 25, 2008

livin' the dream...again!

Today I did something I've always dreamed of. I woke up at 4:45am, my friend Sarah picked me up at 5:00am, and we headed to Newport Beach to run/rollerblade on the beach! Ever since I was a little girl, playing with my favorite red headed California beach skater barbie, I've wanted to rollerskate on the beach. Yes, this was before rollerblades came out. I loved that barbie, and always wished I could do the things I "made" her do, as I had her skate along with me in my basement to Mariah Carey. My experience today wasn't exactly like my redheaded barbie....no killer bod with the bikini, and no surfer Ken. But... it was still a phenominal experience, and I did look pretty cute with my pink sweatpants and ponytail :)

We rollerbladed (me)/ran (Sarah) for 3 hours, seeing some pretty amazing things. We of course got to the beach when it was still very dark, and found great free parking. We then found our way to the boardwalk, and immediately heard the waves crashing. The high tide was wonderful to watch, the waves were huge and so loud it sounded like thunder. The stars were beautiful, and the moon was our only light as we started out. As we went on our first pier, the sun was starting to come out, and we were able to watch the beautiful sun rise. We went past many fishermen, surfers, and kayakers. It was such a gorgeous morning. We then got to the Balboa area, and took the ferry to the Balboa Island. We went around the island, and found a stand that sold Balboa bars, and enjoyed the great ice cream treat at 8am :). We talked to many people, saw a garage sale, people walking their dogs, and old men sitting around and talking. We found our way back to the car, and were home by 9:30am! It was so much fun to be on rollerblades again, I had missed it. And, I rollerbladed for 3 hours, and only fell once. Pretty good for being rusty!

I had a great week of Subbing. Monday and Tuesday I was with Jr. High LD classes, Wednesday I was with 5 different classrooms as a rotating sub, Thursday I was with the most fantastic sixth graders, and Friday I was with Jr. High Home Ec & Science. Who knew I would ever teach these classes? Home Ec took me back to the good ol' days at Flambeau's Home Ec room, with Mrs. Dicus, the sewing machines, kitchens. Even the smell of the room was the same as that at Flambeau's. It really did make me reminise about my experience in Jr. High & High School as I watched the same "Sew Cool" video three times (the video was ironically made in Wisconsin, a low-budget Home Ec video about sewing, complete with Packer material!). I've had a lot of cool "Is this really my life right now" experiences. Who would have ever thought I'd have the opportunity to teach P.E., Home Ec, Pre-algebra, and more. I just have to say how funny it is with the whole P.E. teaching....it was my absolute worst classes during my whole childhood/adolescence. I didn't understand the games then, and I still don't understand them. But in my defense, California dodgeball is completely different from Wisconsin dodgeball. Last Friday I was with a Jr. High P.E. class, it was so hot outside and we played soccer. In the first 2 classes, there were many many complaints, and I understood because I WAS that kid. So in the last 2 classes I taught, I told them if they were too cool for dodgeball, they could play duck duck goose on the other side of the field. It was PERFECT, because the kids that were really into soccer were able to play without the kids standing/sitting on the field complaining, and the kids that would normally just stand/sit on the field were at least moving a little with duck duck goose. So it was a win-win-win situation for all :) I've also had so many great conversations with the kids, about icebergs, politics, and counting to ten in different languages. So, my life and job is pretty fun right now.

Thursday night Lena, Priscilla, Sarah and Kristen met for our Ladies night. And then last night Sarah, Scot, Priscilla and I met for our Wide Awake book club, and celebration of Priscilla's birthday! I just need to say once again how blessed I am with community here. I've met such genuine, sincere, and loving people.

Here are some pictures from the weekend:

Priscilla, Kristen, Sarah & Lena

Sarah, Scot, and Priscilla with the yummy birthday brownies!

Priscilla, me & Sarah!

No comments: