Saturday, November 22, 2008

I am dreaming tonight...

of a place called home, even more than I usually do...

I'll admit it, this week is really hard for me to be away from home for. It's not that I'm miserable in California, because I truly do love living here, it's that my heart is longing for the Thanksgiving week in Wisconsin. Maybe it's born in me (since mom's water broke while packing venison...), but this is my favorite holiday.

I was up early today, mostly because I can no longer sleep in, but also because I was thinking of my dad and the guys, praying for them, and just imagining their excitement. I was able to talk to him last night, he was at the cabin, and had so much laughter and joy in his tone of voice, even though he is sick right now. I also talked to my mom, and she had that same laughter and joy in her voice, because she is spending a day with her sisters, nieces, and great-nieces. The laughter and joy is why I absolutely love this week, and miss sharing it with the people there.

In my house we would spend Friday night getting dad ready for the next day. The house was just full of excitement, as we cleaned his gun, got his long johns, thermal socks, orange vests and jackets set out. Saturday morning we would wake up at 4:30am, to finish packing dad up. Most people would hate that hour and leave the house groggy, but my family was so excited and energized. We would make dad coffee to put in his thermal, make him a ham sandwich, and of course pack chips and fun-sized candy bars left over from Halloween. Mom and I would send dad off with hugs and kisses, I would stand by the door to get one last wave from him as he drove off with his truck and four-wheeler in the back. Then mom and I were able to go back to bed for a couple hours, but we usually just cuddled in bed or in her rocking chair and talked. We would sit in her rocking chair by the tree and just talk about the ornaments, about memories, and she would share how much she loved me. I loved these moments with my mom, and wish we could both still fit in that rocking chair :).

During this week we would put up the Christmas tree, while blasting Christmas music. Dad being gone for the day meant we could listen to music as loud as we wanted. And our music of choice: Mariah Carey, Merry Christmas, along with Amy Grant, Michael W. Smith, and others. I have so many memories of dancing in the kitchen with my mom to some of those great MC tunes. We would bake pies for dad's birthday and Thanksgiving, as well as about 15 different kinds of cookies for Santa Day in Sheldon. I loved this quality time in the kitchen with my mom, we were so goofy and had all the time in the world.

We would get so excited when dad would get home every night after hunting. I would wait for him by the door, to see if he got anything or not! This of course was before cell phones, before the cell phone tower was on the hunting land where we get better reception there than at home. Now, he calls to give updates on who got what, etc. But sometimes the guys would come to our house and skin the deer in our garage, and I was able to watch. Dad would just be so excited, it didn't matter if he got anything or not, just because he enjoyed being in the woods with the guys.

I always had the whole week off for school during hunting season. It was so relaxing, before all the busyness of Christmas. Mom and I would go shopping for a day in Eau Claire, just hanging out. We would bake a couple of the days, go on walks (with our orange coats, so we wouldn't be mistaken for a deer...), and also plan for my birthday party. I would also go hunting with my dad and the guys at least once or twice during that week. My favorite part was the "junk food" we were able to eat, and also fourwheeling with my cousin Ross. I usually liked making drives, just not through the brush! I loved being around my dad, uncles and cousins during this time. I loved them teasing me, because I knew they cared for me. What I didn't care so much for was "relieving" myself in the woods, trying to find a place, it was always such a pain, especially since no women were there with me! :)

We always had Thanksgiving day at my house. Every year I had to watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade, but it always got cut short because of football. Too bad there was no tivo at that time! My mom and I would be busy getting the food made, then my aunts, uncles, cousins and grandma & grandpa would come over. We would eat our big meal at 1, watch some football, most of the guys would take a nap, and just spend time together. My cousins and I would usually watch the movie that came on at night, Home Alone. I loved that movie!

Things are different now, with the cabin being built, the guys are able to stay there all week! Now, my mom and aunt bring them some food during the week, and they have it on the fire, or in the little stove. I hope to some day experience this season at home, with new traditions!

I really love this week, and am glad I do have a place to go for Thanksgiving, as the Dix's have graciously invited me to be a part of them! My thoughts and prayers are with my family in Wisconsin, wishing them a fun and safe Hunting Season!

And although I know, it's a long road back.....I promise you.....I'LL BE HOME FOR CHRISTMAS!

So...not the best picture of me, I was on steriods at this time! Oh, I love those chubby cheeks though! You can see I was just a little dramatic :)

2 comments:

dktoday said...

that picture cannot be you. i need proof.

sheena marie said...

oh unfortunately it is me....i don't show pictures of me as a kid very often... :)