Thursday, November 13, 2008

an update :)

The woman that I met on the trail on Tuesday stopped me excitedly today, showing me her new nose ring! She said she got it done that day, after we talked :). I was talking to my mom on the phone, and she heard the whole conversation, it was like she was there with me. She was so excited, and we bonded over the cute new stud in her nose. It's amazing what connections can be made through piercings.

I love my nose ring, for many reasons. Here are a few:

1. Kids think I'm tough. Well, kinda. It works for El Monte Unified School District. And I think its saved my life a few times....the death threats from St. Joe's definitely subsided a bit after I got the piercing.

2. I love watching people, old and young alike, whisper and point at my ring. Its funny to see them unsure whether to comment, or to ignore it.

3. Kids that have never seen a nose ring are so funny. They are so honest in their questions. I'll never forget putting Henry down for a nap, closing my eyes so he might get the same idea, and feeling something touch my nose. I opened my eyes slowly, and saw his face close to mine, finger almost in my nose. He thought I was asleep, and decided to touch my nose ring, trying to figure out what it was!

4. I really love the conversation starter. People I would never have thought would approach me, do, and I love it. Kids that are "misunderstood and hate adults" are able to start talking to me about my nose ring, and it opens up to deeper conversations.

5. It makes me feel a little artistic. And urban. And cool. (Even though I'm not!)

So, with that said, although I won't have it forever, it was one of the best decisions I made :)

No comments: