Monday, September 22, 2008

feeling fall....

It's been feeling a little more like fall here, with temperatures only in the 80's and its getting cooler at nights. We've been feeling it a little more here at Brownfield Lane, with Erin's subscriptions to Better Homes & Gardens, and their yummy fall recipes. Last weekend we made a Cranberry Chocolate Walnut pie....this weekend it was my chili and apple dumplings. Can't wait for the other recipes I found, pumpkin soup and pumpkin pancakes.... :)

Yesterday was a fun and eventful day. Lena & I went to Mosaic Inland, then I did some sightseeing with Erin and her friends that came from northern CA. We went to lunch on Olvera street, saw the Hollywood sign close up, drove down Rodeo Drive and Hollywood Blvd. It was fun feeling like a tourist in the city I now live in. After all this, Lena and I went to the Mosaic service at the Mayan (nightclub) in downtown LA. It was a lot of fun, and reminded me of Club 3 Degrees.

Mosaic is now doing a series on Falling Forward. In the morning the service was about failure, especially failure in relationships. The pastor gave the example of Jesus, when Judas betrays him, he never tried to fix Judas. Even though Jesus knew it was Judas betraying him, he didn't sit Judas down and talk to him about it, or try to reason or help him. So many times in our relationships, we feel like we have to "fix" everyone and every situation, but really, we have no control over another person. In our relationships, we only have control over what we do and how we act, and if its pleasing to God or not. Jesus invested everything he had into his disciples, and on his last our of need, when he asked them to pray so they would not fall into temptation, they fell asleep. And when Jesus was arrested, his disciples ran away, and disowned him. So many times we get disappointed in relationships, people fail us, we fail others, and we fail God by our sin and disowning Him. Even with our failure, God is there with us, loving us.

The evening service was on fatigue, and it was really good. I learned that fatigue isn't about not having enough sleep or being too busy. Fatigue is from disappointment and discouragement. Fatigue comes when you start to get discouraged and don't lean on God and on community. So many times I've felt just exhausted, at the times in my life when I'm disappointed in myself and discouraged. I'm praying in my pursuit for a job, I don't become fatigued, but completely lean on God and cast all my cares and worries on Him. So...I had three great sermons this weekend (my minister from home e-mailed me his), and they were all things I needed to hear. I'm learning and growing....and trying to fall forward to God :)

Here are some pictures from yesterday!


Erin's new guy :)

My first Churro experience! Mmmmm...Olvera Street is good!

Up close & personal to the Hollywood sign!

1 comment:

Mariko Marie said...

I'm so glad you are getting to see SoCal more and more. With Erin as your tour guide, I will guarantee some really hysterical times. =)