Monday, September 8, 2008

new city....new adventure....new blog!

I've always hesitated to start a blog, basically because I don't like talking about myself, and there's always the fear that I'll start something and never finish, not know what to say, say the wrong thing, etc. But, I'm in a new city and new adventure now, and would like a way to keep my family and friends updated. So...here it goes!

I'll start this blog by sharing a little of how I came to L.A. My journey to California has been quick, although its been on my mind for over 3 years. While in Lithuania, I started looking up grad programs, and Azusa Pacific University just stuck with me. I couldn't find a program I liked as much as the one here, and couldn't get it out of my mind. So...I started the application in April 2007, and then put it off. Then started it again in February 2008, then put it off. Then I went to South Africa, and when I got back, I had no idea what to do or where to go next. "The Plan" was to start APU in Fall 2008, but I wasn't sure what I wanted to do. And not sure what God wanted of me. So after the summer spent in misery not knowing God's will, and only knowing that where I was at that time was where I was supposed to be, I finally felt a peace about going to APU.

I quickly finished my application, but part of that included getting my fingerprints for a Certificate of Clearance. I talked to the admissions counselor on a Wednesday, and found out I could only do this in the state of California, and had to get it done by Friday for the application to be in by the due date. So on a Wednesday afternoon, I searched for flights, found one for a Friday morning, but there wasn't enough seats for my parents (which I talked in to coming). My mom suggested leaving the next day, and there were just 3 seats left on that flight, so we purchased it quick, and left the next morning! That day, I found out the place to get the fingerprints done was closed on Fridays for the summer, so our arrival on Thursday was perfect. While in the airport security line, I saw my friend Sarah Sandberg's parents, they were going to visit her and her husband, Ryan, in L.A. So, I got to see them when they picked their parents up at the airport, because we were on the same flight! We had no problems with our luggage, rental car, and finding our way around. And we were able to spend a few days with Great Aunt May, who lives only 6 miles from APU. The whole trip was a "God thing", especially when I found a place to live. Before getting to L.A., I printed off a list from the APU website for people seeking roommates. I looked it over, and nothing just looked right. My parents and I were praying for affordable housing, and I finally looked at the website again. A new one had been posted, looking for a "fun Christian girl", and I thought, well, I think I fit that category! So I responded, and Erin and I e-mailed back and forth. I also responded to another one, to a girl named Sally. We went to Sally's place, and a 60ish year old woman answered the door. It was the strangest place, she creeped us all out, it was dark and dirty, stairs broke, smelled, and a 60-year old woman staring at us the whole time. We left there quick, and were releaved when we got to Erin's home, it fit me perfectly. Erin had been praying for someone, and so I had I, and I responded right after she posted. Thank God!

Many things needed to be set before coming to California. I found out by the admissions counselor that the week I got my fingerprints done for the application, Arnold laid off some people, including those who were processing my fingerprints. He said it wasn't likely they would get there in time, so I would probably have to start school in November. Well, on the last day, they got processed. But I still needed to be accepted to the program. On a Friday afternoon I found out I was accepted, quickly packed, played piano for my friends wedding on Saturday, and left for California on Sunday after church! What a whirlwind, getting everything packed and ready to go! But once we were on the road, with my parents and 90-year-old grandparents, we were ready for an adventerous road trip. We were able to stop in Fort Collins, Colorado to see my cousin Danine and her husband Walter, stop in Colorado Springs to see some other relatives, see the Royal Gorge, drive wolf-creek pass, see the Grand Canyon, and finall get to Pomona, California where we moved me in! It was an amazing adventure, and I felt blessed to be able to spend that quality time with my parents and grandparents!

Its been an adjustment being here, but I've felt held by God through it all, knowing that I'm supposed to be where I am. I do miss my family and friends back home, but I've been blessed to spend some time with people I haven't seen in a long time, including Sarah & Ryan Sandberg, Andrea Wallace, and Aunt May. And I have been so blessed to be living where I am, instant friends and community with my roommates Lena and Erin. And I've gone to a small-group and church already, and have found some community at Mosaic. And my classes have been interesting, and I've had some good conversations with my classmates and collegues. It sounds like the cliche thing to say, but God certainly is good.

"Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in You. Show me the way I should go, for to You I lift up my soul. I hide myself in you. Teach me to do your will, for you are my God." Psalm 143:8-10

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Love the blog! I am SO happy you are here. Can't wait for more hang-outs and hiking!!